According to Statistics New Zealand, which issued alcohol consumption figures today, the popularity of alcopops was the leading contributor to a new high in the total volume in 2006.
Beer remained the most popular type of alcoholic beverage in New Zealand accounting for more than two-thirds of the total available for consumption in 2006.
But its 42 per cent total was 2 per cent down from its 44 per cent in 2005, and wine’s consumption share accounted for 34 per cent (up 1 percentage point on 2005).
Distilled Spirits Association chief executive Thomas Chin put the growth of the spirits sector down to the wider range of flavours, innovative packaging and variety of brands available on the market.
HELLO BREWERS!! WAKE UP, AND STOP MAKING BORING LAGERS WITH NO FLAVOUR.
PEOPLE WANT – “the wider range of flavours”.
BEER CAN HAVE FLAVOUR.
GIVE IT TO THE PEOPLE, AND THEY WILL KEEP DRINKING BEER. WITH FLAVOUR.