* Take-home liquor market is worth more than $1 billion.
* Supermarkets sold $455 million in wine and $252 million in beer so far this year.
* Traditional liquor stores sold $193 million in wine and $140 million in beer and about $200 million in spirits.
* About 3100 people are employed in the retail liquor industry, excluding supermarkets.
* Liquor Centre Group: franchise, 130 stores.
* Super Liquor: franchise, 102 stores.
* Liquorland: franchised subsidiary of DB Breweries, 80 stores.
* The Mill Liquorsave: managed privately, 41 stores.
* Liquor King: managed and owned by Lion Nathan, 40 stores.